Call for Papers
Digital BlackCentric Week:
Digital BlackCentric week, 6 – 12 November gives the opportunity to take part in cutting-edge development, conversation and new work that utilises technology as a creative tool. It enhances performance, it aids access and provides a platform for the future where race is invisible allowing ability to shine. Digital content and its vision allow creatives to dream, to push boundaries and explore old and new concepts whilst forging a new language and occupying new space.
These papers offer the opportunity for further dialogues which will be explored during Digital BlackCentric Week. It is incredibly important that Black voices are in a leadership role at this pivotal point with technology. Therefore, Serendipity invites Black researchers, academics and creatives to present new thinking with digital technology at its core.
Please use the form below to submit your paper.
Proposals must include:
- 500 word abstract in a word document
- a short (100) words author bio
- a headshot
- individual presentations and any accompanying slides that may be used to present work
- creative presentations up to 20 minutes
Any queries please contact email@example.com
Call Out for Let’s Dance International Frontiers 2024: Signatures
Signatures is a platform held as part of Let’s Dance International Frontiers, an annual festival of dance in Leicester, led by Serendipity Institute for Black Arts and Heritage. Signatures is a platform that provides opportunities to nurture and support undiscovered talent, by working with emerging dancers and choreographers and enabling them to realise their creative potential and showcase their work as part of an international dance festival in Leicester, UK.
Signatures is offering the opportunity for emerging artists to:
- Showcase a new piece of work a maximum of 15 minutes, as part of Let’s Dance International Frontiers, in Leicester, on Wednesday 1 May 2024.
- Receive audience feedback and network dance professionals and practitioners based in the UK and internationally.
- Receive a performance fee of £500.
- Support towards travel and accommodation for the performance.
- Friday 10 November 2023: Deadline for applications
- Week commencing 28 November: Expected decision made on applications and announcement of selected artists
- Wednesday 1 May 2024: Performance as part of Let’s Dance International Frontiers 2024.
To be eligible you must:
- Be an independent artist.
- Be committed to working responsibly within Serendipity and partners’ health and safety measures where applicable.
- Complete the Signatures application form.
- Submit documentation of the proposed and previous works with your application.
- Be available for performance on 1 May 2024.
- Propose a complete dance work that is no longer than 15 minutes in duration.
- Propose work that can practically be realised in a theatre/studio space. In terms technical requirements, sight lines and number of company members (approximately 1-5 company members is ideal for small-mid touring).
The selection is made by a panel including artistic leadership from Serendipity Institute for Black Arts and Heritage, independent artists and international partners.
Criteria for selection is based on:
- Quality – Work with a clear sense of purpose and integrity that has the highest artistic performance standards.
- Engagement – Work that has the ability to interact and engage audiences through a clear and successful conceptual framework.
- Technique – Strong demonstration of dance style or genre and chosen techniques. If applicable, with accomplished self-development of approaches.
- Innovation – Work that pushes the boundaries of dance and choreographic practice, platforming pioneering artists and ideas.
- Suitability – Work that is practically suited to the venue and opportunity.
For more information or for a copy of the application for in word document form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44(0)116 482 1395.